Sunday, January 28, 2007

Mini-rant

Urgh. "Alternative careers." What does that even mean? It makes it sound like there's something strange about you, something wrong with you if you don't want to be an investment banker. I feel as if the Careers Service are somehow judging me for wanting a job I enjoy; or a job that also gives me time to write and sing and cook and maintain some semblance of funtional human relationships outside work; or a job that fits in with my principles. It's like an 'alternative lifestyle' is always something that society doesn't really approve of, even if it makes you happy.

Bah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I hear China is a really good place to put off finding an 'alternative career' and meet new people at the same time. Not to mention the whole syntax and linguistics aspect of the language which I'm sure academics like yuo would enjoy... Come work with me! Or at least, come see me- I promise tea and sleep and kittens and very good chinese food.
G xx